Saturday, April 03, 2010

Transgender and Transgender-Like Veterans - Part 1

By Monica F. Helms

This is my most ambitious video project yet. It's called: "Transgender and Transgender-Like Veterans - Part 1." Besides doing it in widescreen, I used several techniques I have only experimented with in the past.

This is a documentary of those individuals who crossed gender lines to serve their country, from the Revolutionary War to the Spanish American War. The video has stories of interesting people, like Deborah Sampson, Albert Cashier and Cathy Williams. It didn't turn out too bad for what I had to work with.

I wanted to do a tribute to all of those transgender and transgender -like people who served this country proudly. It was amazing what I found when researching the information for this video. I hope you like it.



1 comment:

Ambassador MAGMA said...

Thank you so much for this incredible documentary! It is amazing how far back the history goes, especially since much of it has probably been repressed.

I am working on a comic about the civil war, and am in the writing stages of some of the people mentioned in this documentary. It is inspiring and important to remember them. It is also incredibly vital to remember and understand them for who they were and are, rather than what society or governmental records claim.

Great job! I can't wait for vol. 2!!!